Swimming Australia president Kieren Perkins hit back at claims by two-time silver medalist Maddie Groves that she had withdrawn from Saturday’s competition. Olympic lawsuit concerning “misogynistic perverts”, arguing that they were unable to reach her on this matter and that they have no record of her previous complaint lodged on social networks in November.
Perkins, a two-time Olympic 1,500-meter gold medalist, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp on Friday. that Swimming Australia had been unable to have “a direct conversation” with Groves about a social media post she made on Thursday alleging misconduct in the sport.
“We had an ongoing dialogue that was generated by Maddie via social media. We reached out to her in December 2020 to try and discuss her concerns with her,” Perkins said, via The Associated Press.
“We’ve done it again now, and unfortunately at this point we haven’t been able to have a direct conversation with Maddie to understand exactly what her concerns are, who the people are involved, so that we can investigate and make it right. face. “
Groves, 26, first made the announcement in an Instagram post, but did not explain why his abrupt decision to step down.
She then tweeted this post saying, “Let this be a lesson for all the misogynistic perverts in sports and their booty lickers – You can no longer exploit young women and girls, shame their bodies or enlighten them. medically, then expect them to represent you so that you can earn your annual bonus.
Perkins also responded to a November 30 tweet in which Groves claimed to have filed a lawsuit years ago against a man in her sport who made her uncomfortable with the way he looked at her in a swimsuit. She added that she believed he had since received a promotion.
“I have absolutely no evidence that there has been a complaint, or that anyone has been promoted because I don’t know who she’s talking about, or what it is,” Perkins said, according to the New York Post. “Actually, I don’t have any proof of that, and it’s really quite worrying.”
Groves followed up on his request with another Instagram post that said his decision was not based on an isolated incident.
“It would be a mistake for anyone to reduce my decision to a singular incident,” she wrote. “My decision is in part due to the fact that there is a pandemic, but it is mostly the culmination of years of witnessing and” benefiting “from a culture that relies on people ignoring the bad guys. behaviors to thrive. I need a break. “