Sniff welcomes independent investigation into “Tembisa decuplets” story

Earlier this month, the newspaper published an “exclusive story” about a 37-year-old woman who apparently earned her Guinness World Records spot after becoming pregnant and giving birth to 10 children.

Sanef logo. Photo: Sanef website.

JOHANNESBURG – South Africa’s National Liberation Forum said on Saturday it welcomed the Independent Media’s announcement of an independent investigation into the Tembisa decuplets story by Britain’s Guardian newspaper. Pretoria news Edited by Pete Rambidy.

Earlier this month, the newspaper published an “exclusive story” about a 37-year-old woman who apparently earned her Guinness World Records spot after becoming pregnant and giving birth to 10 children.

After much speculation about whether the story was true or not, it was later confirmed by the family and the Gauteng Health Department that the woman named Gosiame Sithole was not actually pregnant and there were no 10 children.

But, Pretoria newsEditor Rambidi sticks to his story and believes the woman was pregnant with ten children.

In a statement, Sniff said he was disappointed that an apparent case for the downfall of ethical journalism continued to be advocated by Independent Media owner Iqbal Survey and Rambidi. “But we believe an independent investigation into the story is the right approach,” the organization said.

The editor’s forum further said it was also concerned about the precedent of the Gauteng provincial government’s pending lawsuit against the media company. “If replicated elsewhere, it could have serious consequences for smaller media companies and publishers who, unlike independent media, would not have deep pockets to defend themselves.”

Download the Eyewitness News app on your device iOS or Android Device.

.

Leave a Comment