Aston team owner Martin Stroll expects Vettel to stay

FILE – German Aston Martin driver Sebastian Vettel, second, celebrates on the podium after the Hungarian Formula 1 Grand Prix at the Hungaroring circuit in Mogyorod, near Budapest, on August 1, 2021. Vettel was subsequently disqualified . (Photo by FERENC ISZA / AFP)

LONDON – Aston Martin expects quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel to race for them in Formula 1 next season and an announcement is imminent, team owner Lawrence Stroll said.

“We are delighted with Sébastien. We have every intention of continuing with him next year and beyond, ”said the Canadian billionaire.

Aston Martin said earlier on Tuesday that they had started building their new F1 plant at Silverstone.

Vettel, who won his titles with Red Bull from 2010 to 2013, joined the Ferrari team late last year and the German turned 34 in July.

Vettel is 12th in the championship after 14 races, Stroll’s son Lance behind.

The German took second place in Azerbaijan and was disqualified from second place in Hungary because his car ran out of fuel after the race.

He has also been increasingly outspoken on environmental issues and climate change.

Stroll said that Vettel’s personal opinions had “no bearing on our strong and constant desire that he continue to drive for us in Formula 1”.

RELATED STORIES

Get the latest sports news straight to your inbox

Read more

Don’t miss the latest news and information.

To subscribe to INQUIRE MORE to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 other titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download from 4 a.m. and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For comments, complaints or inquiries, Contact us.

Leave a Comment