Christopher Collins charged with murder in woman’s death

Christopher Collins is charged with murder after prosecutors said he did everything he could to make it look like his wife was murdered by intruders.

HOUSTON — The husband of a woman found dead in her Cypress home went to great lengths to convince investigators that his wife had been murdered by intruders, according to court documents.

Christopher Collins, 41, was due to appear in court on Thursday but did not appear on mental health grounds, authorities said. Collins is charged with murder in the death of his wife, Yuan Hua Liang.

Prosecutors said the couple had signed a $250,000 life insurance policy two days before Liang was murdered Nov. 18 at the compartment home in the 18,000 block of Clayton Bluff.

RELATED: HCSO: Man Finds Woman Dead in Their Cypress Home After Calling Him About an Intruder

Collins is being held on a $150,000 bond. He is expected to appear in court for the first time on Monday.

Authorities say Collins is a military veteran who has had a home in the Houston area for the past eight years.

Suspect called officers home

the Harris County Sheriff’s Office said it received a non-emergency call at about 3:15 p.m. from a man — later identified as Collins — requesting social assistance benefits for his wife.

Investigators said Collins told officers his wife was concerned about possible intruders at the house. He reportedly became concerned when she stopped responding to his calls and text messages.

Authorities say Collins met an agent at the house around 5 p.m., where he opened the door for them.

According to court documents, Collins paused in the doorway, dropped his bags and ran into the living room where Liang was lying on the floor with visible blood on her shirt and a pocket covering her head.

Liang had only one injury to her body, a gunshot wound to the head, according to medical researchers. They believe the bullet was fired from a 22 or 25 caliber weapon.

RELATED: Resources for Victims of Domestic or Family Violence

An autopsy also concluded that the cloth bag was placed over the victim after her death, according to court documents.

Investigators said there were no signs of a break-in, the house had not been searched and several valuables were untouched. They also noted that officers counted four dogs in the couple’s backyard.

According to officers, a neighbor had heard a fight coming from the house earlier that day.

According to investigators, Collins said he had previously come home from a restaurant after forgetting his wallet. He told officers that Liang met him in the driveway and gave it to him. He then claimed to have left for the gym.

Collins is said to have said he was on the phone with his brother when he missed several messages from his wife claiming someone was outside their home. He said he texted her back to see if she was okay but she didn’t respond.

He claims he drove on to the gym, where he stayed for about 45 minutes. At the time, Collins said he tried to reach his wife at least 10 times, but she didn’t pick up.

Then he called the police on the non-emergency number.

Questioning the husband

Officers asked Collins about surveillance cameras in the house and were told there was no recording, just a live feed. Collins said when he would use the cameras to monitor his wife when he was working abroad.

According to court records, Collins did not check the cameras on the day of his wife’s death.

When asked why he didn’t come home immediately, according to court documents, Collins said his wife tended to be paranoid. Prosecutors said the 911 call revealed Collins told dispatchers it was likely nothing.

Prosecutors said officers asked if there was a gun in the house. Collins reportedly said his wife bought him a 9mm handgun, but he had no ammunition.

Officers said they later found a 22mm cartridge in Collins’ pocket.

KHOU 11 on social media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

Leave a Comment