NEW YORK (WWTI) — Winter can be a challenging time for individuals and families trying to pay their bills and keep their homes warm.
According to the New York Public Service Commission, electricity and natural gas bills are expected to be higher for the 2021-2022 winter season than last year, with natural gas expected to rise by an average of about 21% statewide. According to the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority’s Propane Pricing Dashboard, propane has risen about 30% since last winter.
What is HEAP?
New York’s Home Energy Assistance Program helps low-income people with the cost of heating their homes. Qualified applicants can receive one regular HEAP benefit per season and may also be eligible for an emergency HEAP benefit if they are in imminent danger of running out of fuel or having their utility shut down. The HEAP emergency benefit for the current season will take effect on January 3, 2022.
This season’s application period opens in October and continues through winter until funding for the program runs out. HEAP can help people who heat their homes with electricity, natural gas, oil, coal, propane, wood or wood pellets, kerosene and corn.
Am I eligible?
You may qualify if:
- You and the members of your household are US citizens, US citizens or qualified aliens; and
- You provide a valid Social Security number for each member of the household; and
- You receive benefits from the supplementary nutritional aid program, temporary assistance or additional security income; or
- Your monthly household income is at or below the HEAP income guidelines.
- You may be eligible for HEAP even if you:
- Own your house
- Paying for heat as part of your rent
- Having money in the bank, stocks, bonds or other resources
2021-2022 HEAP Monthly Income Limits
To meet the income requirements, your total gross monthly income for your household must be at or below the following guidelines:
|Household size||Maximum gross monthly income|
|every extra||Add $568|
How do I sign up?
New York residents living outside of New York City can apply online through the official New York State website.
HEAP applicants need the following to apply for assistance:
- Proof of residency with one of the following persons:
- Rental receipt with address
- Copy of rental contract with address
- Water, sewer or tax bill
- Homeowner insurance
- Mortgage payment receipt
- energy bill
- A current fuel or energy bill, or a statement from your landlord that your heat and/or utilities are included in your rent.
- Recent pay slips as proof of total current monthly income for all household members.
- For each person in your household you will need one of the following:
- Photo ID
- Drivers license
- Birth certificate or baptism certificate
- School records
- Paperwork Documenting Disability for Everyone in Your Household