Kevin Spacey Must Pay $31 Million to ‘House of Cards’ Studio

An arbitrator last year ruled that Kevin Spacey and his production companies MRC, the studio behind the Netflix series “House of Cards,” owe nearly $31 million for breach of contract following numerous sexual harassment allegations against the actor.

The secret arbitrator’s ruling, issued 13 months ago, was made public Monday after MRC lawyers filed a petition with a California court to confirm the ruling.

mr. Spacey was once the centerpiece of the hit Netflix series, which ran for six seasons between 2013 and 2018. mr. Spacey played the main character, the backstabbing politician Frank Underwood, and served as the series’ executive producer.

While the sixth and final season was filmed in 2017, actor Anthony Rapp accused Mr. Spacey’s sexual advances towards him in 1986 when Mr. Rap was 14. MRC and Netflix are suspending production of the series while they are investigating.

The public accusation of Mr. Rapp came just weeks after The New York Times and The New Yorker ran articles about producer Harvey Weinstein and as the #MeToo movement picked up steam.

In December 2017, after further allegations were made against Mr. Spacey, including by crew members of “House of Cards”, MRC and Netflix fired the actor from the show.

In the arbitration, MRC argued that Mr. Spacey’s behavior caused the studio to lose millions of dollars because it had already spent time and money developing, writing and filming the final season. It also said it brought in less revenue as the season had to be shortened to eight episodes out of 13 because Mr. Spacey was written out.

The arbitrator apparently agreed, offering an award of nearly $31 million, including damages and attorneys’ fees.

A lawyer for Mr Spacey declined to comment.

In a statement, MRC said: “The safety of our employees, sets and work environments is of the utmost importance to MRC and so we wanted to push for accountability.”

Leave a Comment