Knifeman tried to kill and ‘chop off’ love rival in horror attack

A man was lucky enough to survive after a love rival tried to kill him and ‘tried to chop his dick off’.

James Cunliffe, 33, was found guilty of attempted murder after he stormed into a house and stabbed the man repeatedly.

‘Bitter’ Cunliffe was furious after seeing his ex-girlfriend with the victim at the Leigh property.

READ MORE : Teen raped 12-year-old girl he met on Snapchat

The couple both had an “on-off” relationship with the woman.

After knocking on the door, Rugby Cunliffe tackled him before they argued on the floor.

A moment later Cunliffe went to the kitchen and picked up a knife.

Manchester’s courts are some of the busiest in the country with a large number of cases every week.

To stay informed about how justice is being done in Greater Manchester, subscribe to our free weekly MEN Court News newsletter, curated by our court reporters Andrew Bardsley and Amy Walker.

How do I sign up?

  1. First click on this link to our newsletter signup center.
  2. Once there, put your email address there at the top and check the MEN Court News box. Other newsletters are also available if you want them.
  3. When you have made your choice, click the Save changes button at the bottom.

The man was stabbed seven times during the ‘gruesome’ attack.

He suffered a punctured lung and wounds to his head, arm and groin, as well as injuries to his testicles.

The victim later told police: “He tried to chop my dick off, he tried to cut me there on purpose.

“I really thought I was going to die. I thought I was going to die on that floor.”

After the attack, Cunliffe went to his uncle’s house, his T-shirt covered in blood.

“I just stabbed him,” Cunliffe told him.

He washed his hands and put on a crisp shirt, before adding, “I’m going to the store for some cans, see you in ten years.”

Cunliffe now faces a long period in prison.

At his trial, Cunliffe claimed he had no intention of killing the man, with his lawyer describing the attack as “spontaneous.”

But a jury found him guilty of attempted murder.

Manchester Crown Court heard there was ‘bad blood’ between the two men.

Cunliffe had known the woman for about two years, but prior to the attack, on March 22, they had fallen apart.

A restraining order had previously been imposed preventing Cunliffe from seeing her, but it had been “largely ignored.”

Cunliffe said he went to the house at about 7:30 PM to pick up some clothes.

Inside, his ex and his victim were drinking and listening to music.

In a text message to her prior to the attack, Cunliffe said, “Trust me, I’m capable of a life sentence, so don’t get excited.”

We have a special Facebook group about lawsuits in Greater Manchester.

Join the group here for the latest coverage on trials and convictions.

To download our app to get all the latest news, visit here.

His victim feared he would die after Cunliffe armed himself with a knife.

“I thought ‘this is really this, he’s going to kill me here,'” he said.

After the attack, he spent four days in hospital, with prosecutors saying he was “lucky he wasn’t killed.”

He said he’d only met Cunliffe twice, but the pair had messaged each other.

He hadn’t spoken to the woman for ‘months’, but had been invited to her home that day.

Cunliffe, of Diamond Street, Leigh, will be sentenced next month.


Leave a Comment