Man arrested 20 years after grandma’s murder in South London robbery

A man has been arrested for the murder of a grandmother 20 years ago, which took place on a sidewalk in South London.

Hilda Lockert was 85 years old at the time and died on her 86th birthday from her injuries after the Brixton attack.

Hilda was approaching the front door of her home in Langport House, Overton Road, SW9 on April 30, 2001 when she was grabbed from behind by her jacket and bag.

READ MORE: Massive search as London nurse, 37, goes missing while diving in the Red Sea

She fell heavily to the ground before two men searched her jacket pockets and took her shopping bag, her bus ticket and her wallet, which contained just £15.

The fall left her with multiple injuries, including a broken knee, and was taken to the hospital where she underwent surgery. She developed a blood clot and died on May 15, 2001, on her 86th birthday.

Medical reports concluded that there was a “clear medical and genuine causal link” between Hilda’s knee fracture and her death.

Junior Young, 39, was arrested on June 5, 2001. He denied any involvement in the attack.

Forensic analysis of Hilda’s shopping bag and coat at the time found limited evidence that Young was present in a DNA sample, but the match was not strong enough to proceed with any charges.

Want to stay up to date with the latest news, views, features and opinions from across the city?

MyLondon’s brilliant The 12 newsletter is full of the latest news to keep you entertained, informed and in the loop.

You will receive 12 stories straight to your inbox around 12:00 noon. It’s the perfect lunchtime reading.

And what’s more – it’s FREE!

The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our journalists deliver all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets, so you never miss a moment.

Don’t miss out and sign up for The 12’s newsletter here.

There was also no CCTV surveillance of the crime and there were no witnesses to what had taken place.

As part of a 2015 review, the DNA samples from the shopping bag were re-examined using a highly sensitive method and specialized software.

They found Young’s DNA on the bag and used the new evidence to arrest him for manslaughter, for which he also pleaded guilty.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Leonard, of Specialist Crime, said: “Until this attack, Hilda had been a very independent woman who continued to do all her own errands and housework.

“Because of her age and the fact that she was alone, Young saw her as an easy target and was oblivious to the injuries he could cause if he violently robs her.

Hilda’s sudden death left her family and those who knew her distraught, but she has never been forgotten, thanks in part to the fact that they named a street in Brixton after her.

“In the same way, we at the Met have never stopped fighting for justice for Hilda, despite the passage of time. We are delighted that, thanks to advances in science, Young is now serving a significant custodial sentence and we hope this is a reminder to others who believe they have evaded justice that we will not give up on our search for them.”

Young will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on Monday, December 20.

Do you want to share a story? Please contact

Want more from MyLondon? Sign up here for our daily newsletters for the latest and greatest from around London.


Leave a Comment