Prince Andrew’s lawyers say the sexual assault case was baseless and the papers were not properly filed

Andrew Breitler, a Los Angeles attorney, who actually appeared during a pre-trial conference call in New York on behalf of Andrew on Monday, said the prince’s legal team would challenge the suit’s validity.

Breitler referred to a settlement that Andrew’s lawyers said Geoffrey had previously entered, which prevented her from pursuing litigation against anyone linked to convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

“We believe, however, that this is an unfounded, unsustainable and potentially unlawful lawsuit brought by the plaintiff against the Duke. There was a settlement agreement in which the plaintiff entered into a previous proceeding that relieved the Duke and others of any and all potential responsibilities “.

Joffrey accuses Andrew of having sex with her when she was a minor, and filed a civil lawsuit against the prince in New York in August. Andrew has in the past denied similar allegations from Giuffre.

But the case cannot proceed until the judicial authorities determine that the legal papers have been legally served to the prince. Breitler said on Monday that the Duke of York’s legal team had been in contact with the UK’s Supreme Court which they say should consider serving – or formal notification – of the lawsuit.

Giuffre’s lawyers say this has been done. In an affidavit filed in the Southern District of New York on Friday, the proceedings servant hired by Joffrey’s legal team to give formal notice of the lawsuit to Andrew said he left the papers with the Metropolitan Police Department of Security at the main gates of the prince’s home. , The Royal Lodge in Windsor, on August 27.

“We have proceeded to serve Prince Andrew in several ways in accordance with Article 10 of the Hague Convention,” Giuffre’s attorney, David Boyce, said during Monday’s hearing.

Federal Judge Louis Kaplan and Giuffre’s attorneys agreed that it was too early to discuss the previous settlement agreement with Epstein, which is currently sealed in another civil suit in the Southern District of New York.

“I think we’re making this more complicated than it already is,” the judge said in court on Monday.

Kaplan instructed a timetable for the parties to make procedural motions to be implemented before he made a decision on whether to service the lawsuit and whether to share the settlement agreement with the prince’s attorney. An in-person hearing is scheduled for October 13 in New York.

CNN has reached out to attorneys for both parties for comment.

Joffrey says Epstein trafficked her and forced her to have sex with his friends, including Prince Andrew, the queen’s second son, when she was a minor. While Andrew has denied the allegations, he has been seen in pictures with Joffrey and Jeslin Maxwell, a British socialite and ex-girlfriend of Epstein, who is currently accused of conspiracy and sex trafficking among other charges.

US authorities have previously accused Andrew of not cooperating with attempts to interview him as part of an investigation into an alleged sex trafficking ring, suspected of operating by Epstein and Maxwell.

The prince stepped back from his royal duties following a 2019 interview with the BBC, in which he was widely considered to have damaged his credibility. It is now rarely seen in public.

.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: