Thornton Heath: Firefighters issue safety warning after e-bike fire in South London home

f

Firefighters have issued an e-bike safety warning after a child was taken to hospital after a house fire in south London.

Part of the ground floor of a terraced house was damaged by the fire on Thornton Health’s Beechwood Avenue around 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Four fire trucks and about 25 firefighters came to the scene to extinguish the fire.

It is believed to have been caused by an e-bike battery that overheated when it was leaned against a radiator.

A child was taken to hospital as a precaution by ambulance personnel and two women and three men were checked on site for smoke inhalation.

London Fire Brigade

A normal road bike had a conversion kit with a separate battery fitted — a common cause of fires, researchers said, because many are from the Internet and may not meet safety standards.

Firefighters warned that batteries can pose a risk if damaged or exposed to extreme temperatures, so users should try to avoid carrying them during use or as a spare.

They also advised users to unplug the charger once the battery is full, and advised not to leave it unattended or while people are sleeping.

E-bikes can also block escape routes, says a Brigade spokesperson.

“Electric bicycles and scooters are often stored and charged in escape routes in homes or communal areas, so if a fire breaks out, escape routes are blocked, making an already serious situation that much more frightening for those involved, so be mindful of where you store.” them,” the spokesperson said.

The fire brigade was called to the fire at 7.16 pm and had the fire under control around 8.25 pm.

Firefighters from Woodside, West Norwood, Norbury and Beckenham fire stations were on the scene.

.

Leave a Comment